Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Monday 3 July 2017

Hard lesson

If I didn't have bad luck then I'd have no luck at all - that's exactly how I feel at the moment. Yesterday evening I got destroyed by a very powerful carp. An over-run on a back-winding Mitchell 300 producing a line tangle which allowed the fish to gain sanctuary of the lily beds and part company. It's the first bite I have registered since 16th June and, as such, am totally gutted by the loss. A small male tench, some time later, did nothing to ease my pain, despite being the first of the species I have taken from this drain system.

3 lbs 8 oz of male tench
If there are any positives, they are minor by comparison - my bait is working and my spots are now clear of weed. Going back early doors, one morning later in the week, to see if I can finally get a carp to the net? Man; I can't ever remember being so upset at loosing a fish!

2 comments:

  1. You must service your 300's too well Dyl. I dont think mine over overan they were that clagged up and once we were on the bolts we always fished open bail and clipped up. One thing I have noticed about most modern bait runners, is that they are so unbalanced you have to fish anti reverse on and free spool engaged or the spool spins at least half a turn and you get a loop of lose line and a tangle. Trouble is I hate fishing off the clutch, even a well behaved rear drag so it is always a panic to flick off the anti reverse when it's hooked. That's pike anyway, for mud pigs it would be suicide! Even they didn't phase me on a 300 backwinding. Not sure why my 0's are crossed but anyway....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never had any fish tear off like that one did on Sunday evening. The speed at which it charged away was reminiscent of a hooked speedboat! The reel handle was a blur and came to a dramatic stop when the line got snagged. I was using 1 oz running leads with a 14" length of tungsten tubing on the lead clip, so not my usual leadcore set-up. I feel duty bound to use the 300's on my split canes, although feel sure that I wouldn't have experienced that particular problem had I stuck with my Matt Hayes centre-pins. Hindsight, what a brilliant gift, shame no-one has it! I've now had time to chat with a few other anglers and don't feel quite so bad about this lost fish. I think it has more to do with letting my Dad down than not catching another carp? However, I have to concede that at no time did I think that a "thirty" had been responsible for my demise - far too feisty for such a fish.
      Your mention of "bolt rigs" and open bale arms was something I discussed with Benno - there might be room for monkeys, on needles, and line clips also? Now those were the days! Hoping all is well with you and yours - Dyl

      Delete